First of all it's important to understand the variety of different carpet fibres available when choosing your new carpet or rug. The article was designed to help you make your decision when it comes to choosing your new investment.
Please always feel free to contact Victoria Carpet Care at 250-474-7777 if you have any questions.
It is important to understand that Carpet fibres are either natural or synthetic. Wool is the natural fiber used in carpet;cotton and other natural fibres are widely used in rugs. The major syntheticyarns are nylon, olefin, acrylic and polyester.
- Wool offers a deep, rich look and feel with excellent resilience and durability.Although it's naturally stain resistant, it requires a high levelof maintenance, including mothproofing.
- Nylon is the most common carpet material. It's the strongest fibre, makingit an excellent choice for heavy traffic areas. It's also the mostdurable of the synthetics, easy to clean and maintain. Nylon is soil-and mildew-resistant, resilient and non-allergenic. Some nylon may pilland be prone to static.
- Olefin (Polypropylene) was originally for outdoor carpeting and basementsdue to its resistance to moisture, mildew, water damage, staining, pilling,shedding and static. Now it's more widely used for its durabilityand wool-like feel and appearance. Olefin is dyed before it's madeinto a fibre and therefore is colorfast. Some olefin can flatten andfade in direct sunlight.
- Polyester is not as durable or as nylon, but still quite wear-resistant.Polyester offers a wide selection of textures and colors. While it'ssusceptible to pilling and shedding, it's non-allergenic, shedsmoisture, resists moths and mildew and cleans easily.
- Acrylic is the closest to wool of any of the synthetics. Acrylic is manufacturedprimarily for commercial use. It offers soil resistance, excellent cleanabilityand resistance to static, moths and mildew. Acrylic is available ina wide choice of colors, and is less likely to fade in bright sunlightthan nylon or polyester.
Once you have chosen your new carpet or rug it important to remember to incorporate a regular cleaning maintenence routine to ensure you protect your investment to keep it looking beautiful for many, many years. Call our Expert Cleaning Specialists Victoria Carpet Care to schedule your routine cleaning at 250-474-7777.
Remember Victoria Carpet Care is happy to offer 100% guarantee : "The Most Thorough Cleaning Ever or It's Free."
Call Victoria Carpet Care today for more information or to request a FREE Carpet Evaluation!
For more cleaning tips please check out our website: www.VictoriaCarpetCare.com
Providing the very best Carpet, Upholstery and Area Rug Cleaning to all of Greater Victoria, including Sooke, Metchosin, Langford, Colwood, Saanich, View Royal, Esquimalt and Oak Bay. We are a family owned and operated business.
No Carpets, No Problem! Victoria Carpet Care Also Cleans Tile and Grout.