Between kids, pets, road trips and seemingly endless errands, your cars interior can transform from clean to messy in the blink of an eye. But with our helpful tips, you’ll not only be able to restore that new car feel, but also keep it that way!
Get it Clean
Tackling your car’s interior can at first seem a little overwhelming, but by breaking everything into easily manageable sections, cleaning is easy. Start by removing floor mats and any other loose objects and then follow these steps:
- Windows: Clean windows are not only beautiful to look through; they also increase visibility and safety. With glass cleaner and paper towels, wipe down one side vertically and the other horizontally so that you can see which side the streaks are on. Then lightly buff with a lint-free towel.
- Dashboard: Your dashboard can be a magnet for dirt, dust and even allergens. Cleaning it regularly will make your car shine and help reduce the chances of your family breathing in particles.
- Upholstery: Stains and dirt are an inevitable part of life, especially with little ones. But that doesn’t mean you have to live with them. Rub gently and then wipe with a clean, damp cloth.
- Detailing: The nooks and crannies of your car’s interior may seem like a lost cause, but with the right tools they can shine just as bright. A soft paint or tooth brush is the ideal device to clean out the tiniest grooves. With just a few strokes and quick wipe with a damp cloth, these pesky areas will spring back to life!
- Vacuuming: Starting from the top and back of your car, work your way down and towards the front, making sure to hit everything in between (don’t forget about the floor mats you’ve pulled out). When finished, give the car a quick re-vacuum. Not only will you suck up all the dirt you’ve dislodged the first time around, but also reduce the chance your interior will be permanently matted by ground-in sand or soil.
Keep it Clean
Now that your car has the sparkle and shine of a new car, keep it that way! With a few practical, preventive measures you can help ensure that a clean car is the rule, rather than the exception:
- Corral the Clutter: Reuse your plastic grocery bags as garbage bags in the car. Every time you stop for gas or a meal, collect the garbage. This will keep your car neat and reduce the amount of work you need to do once you make it to your destination.
- Smart Food Containers: No matter how much we try, food and drinks seem to find their way into cars. Spill-proof cups and smart snack holders are a great option for reducing potential spills and crumbs. Sticking with foods that won’t melt in your car’s hot interior is also a smart way of preventing unnecessary clean up.
- Table Trays: For longer trips, table trays are perfect for containing messes. They fit nicely over car seats or on the lap and can be used for eating or art projects. Trays also come in handy when you’re using drive time to write notes, pay bills or tackle other tasks.
- Creative Containers: Toys, DVDs and blankets can overtake your car before you’ve even made it to the end of the driveway. To prevent an uncontrollable mess, designate a storage unit where each item goes at the end of each trip. Collapsible plastic containers and repurposed crates both make great options. Just store away in the back or trunk.
- Specific Totes: Whether you’re going to the beach, for a hike or to your child’s practice, pack an all-in-one tote that contains everything you’ll need for the occasion. With everything in one convenient carry-all, sand, dirt and the like from the day’s activities will stay in the tote, instead of all over your upholstery and carpet. It’s as easy as “pack-in pack-out”!
~Credit: Home Made Simple
Call Victoria Carpet Care for all your Carpet and Upholstery Needs... We Professionally Clean Carpet and Upholstery in all Vehicles, including RV's and Boats. Call Victoria Carpet Care today to book your cleaning: 250-474-7777
Victoria, British Columbia