It usually takes a great deal of time and planning to choose just the right furniture for your home. The look and the feel of new furniture is something we wish would last for a long time. However, most people don’t just keep their furniture as pieces of art. Whether its a beautiful sofa, comfy loveseat or a perfect arm chair, we want to make sure we take care of them properly! They are well used and well-loved fixtures in our homes. To make sure the investment is worth it, there are a few things that should be done when it comes to caring for your furniture:
- One of the best ways to prevent and stop colors from fading is to keep your upholstery and furniture out of direct sunlight.
- Vacuum your upholstered furniture as much as possible. Keep in mind, dust settles on upholstery just as much as it does on a hard surface such as a floor or a shelf of decorative knickknacks.
- Another tip is to avoid leaving newspapers on your furniture. Ink can build up and is very difficult to remove.
- Don’t cover your upholstery and furniture with dark-colored blankets or sheets. The dyes can rub off onto other fabric when dry or bleed when wet.
- For high-use furniture, it’s a good idea to beat the cushions (often) and then vacuum and rotate them. This can help in distributing the wear. Do not remove cushion covers for dry cleaning or machine washing even if they have zippers. This may cause shrinkage, loss of color and ruin the fibres.
- Remember, all upholstery fabrics are different and can’t be cleaned the same way. Before using a store-bought spotter, check the labels on your furniture. Do not use any product on your upholstery or carpet that has a bleaching agent. I can't tell you how many times I have seen this ruin furniture permanently.
- Proper professional cleaning will extend the useful life of the furniture, keeping it looking fantastic.
- If upholstery looks dirty, it is already past the time it should have been cleaned. Consider have a maintenance plan for your cleaning needs.
If any of the following home environment conditions exist, consider professional cleaning much more frequently:
- Heavy use of kitchens
- Family members who suffer from allergies
Call Victoria Carpet Care today for a FREE Cleaning Evaluation today: 250-474-7777
VICTORIA CARPET CARE IS A ONE CALL SERVICE: Floor Waxing, Polishing and Cleaning, High Heat Extraction, Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Mattress Cleaning, Area Rug Cleaning, Tile and Grout Cleaning, Pet Stains and Odors, Odor Control, Oriental Rug Cleaning, Leather Cleaning, Disinfectants, Carpet and Upholstery Protectors, Environmentally Friendly Green Cleaning Options and Furniture Cleaning